Oil & Gas Exploration
Port Nelson – your base for oil and gas exploration
Port Nelson offers a modern infrastructure with comprehensive facilities and 24/7 services to shipping lines and to the Nelson engineering and refit cluster.
Services & skills
- Nelson based engineering companies offer skilled project management, quality materials, traditional techniques and innovative solutions to complex engineering requirements.
- Port Nelson has the third largest slipway in New Zealand and a full range of other facilities.
- Nelson is the base of Helicopters New Zealand Ltd, which has been providing offshore helicopter services for many of the world’s largest oil and gas companies since 1966.
- The location of the port means that everything is very close to the job in hand.
Central location & total shelter
- Nelson is at the centre of New Zealand. Entry by sea from east and west makes it the most accessible port in the country.
- Port Nelson lies at the head of Tasman Bay, sheltered from the southerly air-flows that bring most of New Zealand’s cold weather.
- Nelson has the highest annual sunshine hours in New Zealand, an average of more than 45 hours of sunshine a week, with little working time lost to rain-days.
Lifestyle & Recreation
- Nelson has three beautiful national parks nearby, vineyards, restaurants, cafes and beaches.
- The region offers almost everything off duty staff could want to do from mountain-biking to visiting craft breweries.
Read more here about Nelson services to the oil and gas sectors (link to PDF)