Port Nelson Alert
Port Nelson is the maritime gateway for the Nelson Marlborough region – a vital hub for economic activity and a key stakeholder in our region’s continued growth and prosperity. For over 170 years Port Nelson has welcomed visitors and commercial operators to the Top of the South Island, and continues to respond to the needs of its customers and its community.
Port Nelson Ltd is jointly owned by the Nelson City Council and the Tasman District Council, and operates the largest fishing port in Australasia.
The Port of Nelson services key local industries:
- Forestry (Log & processed wood products). The main log export markets are in North Asia (Japan and South Korea) with Southern China and Middle East markets growing in the last few years.
- Fishing. Nelson is home to the two largest fish processing companies in New Zealand.
- Pip Fruit. Nelson is the second largest apple growing area in New Zealand.
Real returns for our community:
- Annual revenue for 2017: $58.4 million
- Annual dividend to community: $6.5 million
- Total dividends to community in the last 10 years: $88.4million
Important numbers (2016-17):
- Total cargo through the Port: 3.1 million tonnes
- Container numbers: 108,106 TEU
- Vessel visits: 805
- Employees (FTEs): 195