The first chart of Nelson was drawn up by Captain John Stokes in 1850. In those days the Waimea flowed out to sea at Tahunanui, where KFC now stands. Across the river mouth lay the huge Waimea sandbank. The water from the Maitai and the Nelson estuary met the outflowing Waimea, west of Haulashore Island, where the swirl of their junction created Bolton Hole. This area, named after the emigrant ship Bolton which arrived in Nelson in 1842, was up to 20 metres deep and gave ships a mooring place at the foot of what is now Richardson Street. The chart gives points of reference for finding the entry to Nelson, in the rocky gap between Haulashore Island and Arrow (Fifeshire) Rock.